I received your cards and liked the ship very much. As you can see my writing is very bad. Well, that is because of my uncomfortable position in bed from which I have not been able to move since my operation which was yesterday afternoon. However, I can sit up quite well now despite the fact that my stomach is plastered with bandages through which I can just see my stitches if I lift the plaster up. Thank Judith for her cards and give my love to pop. Well, that's all for now. See you this evening (I hope)
love and kisses from your ever loving son,
X X X X X X X X X
P.S. Love to Micky
X X X X X
- I remember that ship. Mum sent me a postcard with a picture of one of the big old ocean liners on it, either the Queen Mary or the Queen Elizabeth.
- I had my appendix removed in Northampton General Hospital in (I think) 1955.
- In fact they were not stiches but a sort of staple arrangement the hospital was trying out.
- That's funny. I never called Dad "Pop." He was always "Dad." I don't know why I wrote this.
- Micky was the family budgerigar. There is a small drawing of him at the bottom right of the letter.